“earthy, gothic, menacing and big“, David Michôd on Backstory_Mag podcast
Director: David Michôd
Producers: David Michôd, Joel Edgerton, Liz Watts, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner
Script: David Michôd and Joel Edgerton
Cast: Timothee Chalamet (Young Henry V) | Joel Edgerton (Falstaff) | Christian Navarro (Rumoured)
World Premiere: TBA 2019
Production Company: Netflix, Plan B, Porchlight Films
International Sales | Distributor: Netflix
From Porchlight Films (21 February 2018)
The King is an historical epic set against the varied textures of Medieval Britain in the early 1400s and based loosely on the life of Henry V, culminating in the famous English victory over French forces at the Battle of Agincourt.
After Henry V brother is killed in battle before his coronation, a young king is coronated in the late 1300s. The reluctant ruler wears the crown at a time when England was near a war with France, and the empire is teetering. He rises to the occasion, admirably.
From Joel Edgerton in 2016
“We’ve written ‘Henry IV’ and ‘Henry V’ as a period film, but with our own dialogue. For lack of a better word, [it’s] ‘Game Of Thrones’ meets Shakespeare only in that, you can watch ‘Game Of Thrones’ and understand what’s going on. I feel like, with complete deference to Shakespeare, there is something that happens when even the most intelligent people watch Shakespeare. They feel stupid, because he does the kind of roundabout version of telling you simple things. So, we just wanted to let the audience understand exactly what’s going on, and not just some people, but everybody,” he explained.
- FILMING: Production to commence June 2018 (Filming in Europe)
- @SMH Joel Edgerton Article reveals “[David] and Edgerton are co-writing another as-yet-under-wraps script for Warner Brothers”
- More Info on the Warner Bros Script Written by David Michôd & Joel Edgerton
- Update On David Michôd and Joel Edgerton’s ‘The King’
- @joeledgerton1 Talks #King: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Meets Shakespeare Project With David Michôd via .@ThePlaylist
- .@joeledgerton1 talks David Michôd and #King with .@ThePlaylist
- PODCAST: Jeff Goldsmith of @Backstory_Mag #WarMachine Q&A with David Michôd
- PROJECT UPDATE: David Michôd & Joel Edgerton #TheKing Moving Forward According to Deadline